Tuesday, November 4, 2008

It's both an exciting and a sad day for our country

*WARNING -- POLITICS TO FOLLOW! You probably won't agree with my statements. I'm certain that family will soon be calling to gripe at me for my thoughts. But these thoughts had to be posted somewhere and I have no censure hwere other than myself.*

I'm writing this long before a winner is declared in today's race, so no I'm not sad about the outcome. I may be by the time you read this, but as I write this, I'm not.

What I AM talking about is what both candidates mean for our history. Neither truly represent our Founding Fathers' values for our country. And I'm not talking about religion. I fully recognize that the majority of our "big name" Founding Fathers were deists. Instead, I am talking about their beliefs on government. They had a clear intent when they wrote the Constitution to provide the most freedoms to the average citizen as possible without infringing on the rights of others. This meant that the government stayed out of everyone's business, including their fiances, health, religion, etc. They made basic laws that prevented anarchy and supported unity among the states (primarily in order to prevent England or another country from trying to take back over) but they kept legislation from going farther than that.

Perhaps it was inevitable, as the nature of man is to always seek more power, but as time went on, future presidents and Congresses began to claim more and more and more power. But inevitable or not, that doesn't make it right. And due to that, in the truest form of being a Constitutionalist, I do not support anyone that continues to grow our government. Instead, in order to get back to the true nature of our government, in order to make it work the way it was supposed to, our government must decrease itself, significantly. Not that that will ever truly happen because no one wishes to shrink nor volunteers to fire themselves -- but it still should happen.

And by that measure, I have to say that neither candidate is a good choice. When I voted, I chose the one that I believed would grow us the least.

I do believe that it's important to vote. It's not a hopeless cause to strive to restore our country to the original intent. And it's something that we should teach our children about.

So I hope that today (or at least in this election) that you went out and voted. But in the end, I have to say that I'm sad for what it means when neither of our candidates truly represents the Constitution.

1 comment:

Kris said...

No gripes here... I struggled over making a decision and finally went w/ a third party... say I threw it away if you want (because tech I did lol.. not arguing that fact) but he seemed the best choice to me.

As for tonight, I did finding myself rooting more for one than another, but was slightly detached at the same time if that makes any sense lol.