Saturday, August 23, 2008

Post Number 1 from Yesterday: Mom

Mom


Do you remember me talking about glimpses into teenager-hood with Kairi and how they terrified me? Last night I had another one of those moments.

Kairi has recently been exploring what she can call me. Mommy, Mama, Mudder, Mom. I don't mind for the most part, but I would rather not be called Mom. At least, not while she's this young. The other four are fine (well, Mudder's just funny), but Mom irritates me. I'm sure I got this from MY mother. She HATES being called Mom. I had a grandmother we called Mom, so my mother's name was Mama. Period. Do not try to call her anything else. If you call her Mommy, her answer is no. Always. :) I'm sure that Kairi has picked up that irritation, and my proof was last night's supper conversation.

K: Mommy. Mommy. Mommy.
M: Kairi. Kairi. Kairi.
K: Mama. Mama. Mama.
M: Kairi. Kairi. Kairi.
K: (In the snottiest tone you can imagine.) MOMMMMM!
M: Silence. I figure the best response is to ignore it.
K: (Still in a snotty voice.) Mom. (giggle) Mom. (giggle.) MOM. (giggle)
M: Kairi, speak to me nicely or don't talk.
K: (Snotty voice) Mooooooooom! Mom.Mom.Mom.Mom.Mom.Mom.Mom.Mom.Mom.
M: (To Chris) Who is she talking to? It certainly can't be me. No one speaks to Mommy like that.
K: (Snotty voice) Mooooooooom! Mom.Mom.Mom.Mom.Mom.Mom.Mom.Mom.Mom.
M: *sigh* Kairi, say Mommy.
K: Mommy. (And then in a whisper... mom mom mom mom mom mom)


Yeah, our teenage years are going to be fuuuun.

No comments: