Thursday, May 1, 2008

Mobility Came Waaaaaaaaaaay Too Soon

No, Alex is not fully mobile yet, but it's beginning. It started two days ago w/ him scooting on his back. Then as of today he's trying to scoot on his tummy too. *sigh* I would have loved another 3 months like I had w/ Kairi. Oh, but he did NOT appreciate it when he scooted on his back so far that his head was underneath the bouncer. It didn't go over well at all.



Kairi sat on her brother's head today. Just sat down on him. I was nursing him while sitting on the floor. She walked over and sat down. He was not pleased, and she didn't seem to understand why.



Do you ever get glimpses into the future that terrify you? I did recently. It was a glimpse of life w/ Kairi in 12-17 years. And it scares.the.crap.out.of.me. Kairi is an "adventuresome" child. She is a strong-willed, independent, defiant, headstrong, stubborn, inventive, impatient, selfish and high needs child. She is a diva in the making. She knows what she wants, and nothing will change her mind. She quickly becomes violent if her demands are not met or if she is told something she doesn't want to hear. (I was punched in the nose last night for telling her that it was bedtime). I realize, of course, that some of this relates to her age. But I also can tell that a lot of it comes from her personality as well. Now, don't get me wrong, she can be the sweetest, most loving child in the world. She loves to hug and pat people. She relishes in reading books in your lap. She likes holding hands and playing Ring Around the Rosies. When she first wakes up in the morning she likes to cuddle in my lap. As soon as someone she knows walks into whatever room she's in, she shouts hi and lifts her arms up going "uuup pease! uuup pease!" and then hugs them once picked up. But despite all her sweetness, she can still be a little terror. Ever heard "There once was a girl, with a curl, right in the middle of her forehead. When she was good, she was very very good. And when she was bad, she was horrid" ? We quote it to Kairi a lot.
Again, I know that a lot of this can be attributed to her age. But that scares me more. Especially when the mothers of all the teenagers around me keep saying that having a teenager is like going through the terrible twos all over again, except this time their too big and strong to pick up and carry through the store while they scream that they don't like what you're buying for supper.
If you take away the terrible two related behavior, I still have a child that comes close (but rarely succeeds) in being as stubborn as her mama. She still will be defiant. Don't forget independent, impatient, and strong-willed. I love her w/ all my heart, but I foresee clashes in our future. Pray that my child isn't strung up by her toenails before she's able to leave my house!



Here's an example of one of the really good moments. Today Kairi, Grammma and Mommy sat on the kitchen floor playing w/ a car. She'd pass it to mommy, who pass it to Mommy, Mommy back to Kairi, and so on. At first that was funny all on it's own. But suddenly she was asking to pray between each time it was pushed. We pushed it multiple time and b/w each push she'd fold her hands and yell to "paaaaaaaaaaay" at everyone in the room. We prayed an awful lot today while pushing a car.

1 comment:

Kris said...

Awww... I'm afraid we're gonna have one of those too!